Mary Lily Kenan keeping the promise
of her late husband railroad magnate,
Henry Flagler donated $6000.00 and five acres to the community
to build a school to go along with the new railroad.
Click here for more information on
Mary Lily Kenan and
1917 - Construction
completed & school opened.
1962 - Closed for 30
1992 - Reopened and
served students Pre-K through 2nd Grade.
2003 - School closed
2005 - School was deeded to
Kenansville Community Association, Inc.
2006 - Charter school
opened for 2 months.
2008 - Application for
National Register of Historic Places rejected for lack of "historic
- First floor rented to
local Artist Eldon Lux. Now serves as art gallery, studio &
- Reunion of students
from 1920's, 30's, 40's and 50's.
- District 79
Representative Frank Attkisson made tribute before Florida House of
Representatives for efforts to restore & maintain the school.
2009 - Osceola County
Board of Commissioners, via District 5 Commissioner Fred Hawkins,
adopted Resolution #09-013R urging the State of Florida Bureau of
Historic Preservation to support application for National Register
of Historic Places.
- Hired John H. Dean,
Architect and Woodright Construction Corporation, Tom Grogan as
- Demolition of the
non-original second floor auditorium.
- Historical Marker
application by the state of Florida, Bureau of Historic Preservation
is approved and installed in front of our school..
- IRS approved
application of exemption status change from 501c4 to 501c3.
- The fun (and hard
work) of Fundraising has officially begun.
- First window and
brick around window restored by Contractor.
- Fundraising Website
- Article in Orlando Sentinel
Newspaper - Column by Joy Wallace Dickinson on Florida History.
click here to view article
- Restoration of second
floor window & surrounding brick.
- National Register of
Historic Places' Application approved by the Department of
State, Division of Historical Resources as "potentially"
eligible for listing under "Association with Events"
-Planned Mixed Use
Development (PMUD) Zoning District approved by Osceola County Board
of County Commissioners.
- Historic Preservation
Grant Review Panel rated KCA Application 14th among 65 applicants.
Quite an accomplishment for 'first time' grant writers!!
- Florida Department of
State, Division of Historical Resources awarded grant funding to
only the top 6 applicants based on the budget approved by the
- KCA was not awarded
any Grants with the Division.
Aplied and Ranked 12th
for Florida Historic Preservation Special Category Grant. Special
Category Grants were not funded.
Applied and Awarded
$50,000 Florida Department of State, Division of Historic Resources
Grant for planning phase of School Restoration.
Applied and Awarded
$30,000 Florida Department of State, Division of Historic Resources
Grant for re-roof of school.
for the KCA News release.
KCA selected to receive
host fees from Progressive Waste Solutions of Florida, of which 70%
of those funds will be used to restore the school.
Donadio & Associates,
Architects, P.A. hired to replace John Dean who resigned due to